Saturday, September 6, 2008

Family News Update

After three days out of the hospital, I guess I must report mixed results. No doubt I am feeling better today than a week ago yesterday, but it is still quite a struggle. My strength is improved, though I am still extremely weak. I find myself struggling to perform simple daily tasks. Even holding Samuel is very hard. The pain continues to be a real burden. I have of course, suffered chronic pain for a very long time now, though this is a whole new ball game. We've tried to adapt our house to be a little more "disability friendly" and it is helping quite a bit. I am able to shower much easier with the addition of a shower chair, removable hand held shower nozzle, and a grab bar. We purchased a simple seat for the "facilities" that makes getting up much simpler. We don't have a hospital bed, but we have found good results with using some over sized pillows to help me sleep at quite an angle. Getting in and out is much easier now.

No doubt, without the many prayers offered for this family, we wouldn't have made the progress that we have and might not even be enjoying life at home again as quickly as we were able to. Again, thanks to all for those prayers, we continue to covet them.

As for the rest of the family, I don't think Carrie has fully recovered from our ordeal. She is still wiped out. She slept so poorly the week we were gone. If you have never had a week long bedside vigil in a hospital, between the endless interruptions of sleep, the noise, and those cursed pull out "chair / beds", you don't know what you are missing! Zachary is doing great. He has been a big help around the house and with the munchkin. I do think he misses the unlimited video gaming he enjoyed while we were gone though! :-) As for Samuel, we were amazed at the little changes that occurred in just six days! He was holding his bottle more, and doing a better job of it. He was "talking" more, at least as much as 4 and 1/2 month olds talk. He laughs more, babbles more, and is just all around cuter than when we left!

Special thanks to my best friend Tony Burns. I've known Tony for over 32 years and I'm only 36! I grew up with the Burns brothers. Our older brothers played pee wee baseball together. We all stayed friends through the years. Though he now lives in Colorado, he was in Texas visiting his fiance. When we called, he happened to be in Dallas. He dropped everything and stepped in for my brother who had been watching the kids for us. They were heading out of town, and though they would have canceled and stayed if we had needed them, there was no need. God had Tony here when we needed him. Tony watched our kids from Friday night till Wednesday night. He even stayed over till Thursday, to help me and allow Carrie to run around town and try to get the things we needed to function at home. He helped install all of the accessories I needed before he left. With my parents out of state, willing to come if needed, but difficult for them, Tony was a true Godsend. For those who might cringe at the thought of leaving a 39 year old bachelor in charge of a baby and a teenager, I assure you Tony is fully domesticated! :-) In fact, he was awesome! There is no one I know who has a truer or finer friend than I do. Thank you Tony for all of your help, there are no words to express our gratitude and appreciation. The offer still stands for me to sing at your wedding! ;-)

I'll start posting pictures again next week hopefully. With the premature death of my laptop last week (only 14 months old!) :-( , I don't have a computer with a media drive that will download my pictures. I'll get a portable drive that plugs in to our new desktop computer this week. More pics of the munchkin when I can. I'm going to be putting together a neat collection of Zachary's photos next week also (hopefully, energy permitting). It will show him aging from infancy to teen years. I also hope to put together some nice side by side shots of Zachary and Samuel. You all won't believe how much they look alike. Tune in again next week!

Love you all!

Micah

No comments: